Overloaded.

During the school term we go to Kindergym. We go for both children, to help with their low muscle tone issues and to help Asher get some of his beans out. Today was our first day back after a two week break for school holidays. We started preparing Asher for it yesterday, telling him we would be going today. His face would light up while talking about it.

Once there he was so excited. When it was our groups turn he ran in and instantly started following an obstacle course. One of his little friends arrived not long after that and Asher was in his element. At one stage they do a group time. The children do some movement games while the instructor uses a microphone so everyone can hear her. We know that sometimes this can set Asher off and we are sure to sit on the opposite side to the speakers.

Today was a bit different though. He was reluctant to join in, he just sat in my lap watching. I sang and tried to encourage Asher to do the actions. Finally I looked down and I noticed he was biting himself - a sure sign that he was having a sensory overload. Instantly I removed him and we rushed over to our bag. I had packed his 'chewy' and Asher quickly started biting down on it and we used a weighted product in his lap. He asked for his ear muffs, which I had typically forgotten. He was able to calm a little and wanted to join back in and play with his friend.

We avoided a full blown meltdown, which I am so thankful for. But over an hour later I could still look at his hand and see the little bite marks. I'm trying to not let myself feel too guilty, so instead I have decided to put together a little bag of goodies to leave in the car that will help him while we are out. Why didn't I think of this earlier?

0 comments:

Post a Comment